Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I didn't grow up knowing my earthly father. There was a definite void in my life and I often times coveted the relationship that I observed between various childhood friends and their fathers. I can remember nights, days, and afternoons spent crying over something that I knew I was missing......a relationship with my father.

I was one of those children who, "grew up in church," so I knew about God at a very early age. I knew that Jesus died for my sins and that God loved me. However, I didn't come to know Him as father until I was about 19 years old.

There is a lot in my life that did not go according to plan, I'm sure. But one thing I am certain of: God has been my father all along. No words can express the gratitude, love, and appreciation that I have for my Heavenly Father. He has long since filled the void once felt so strongly by a scared little girl. The lessons He has taught me are priceless. The love He has shown is indescribable. He continues to lead my life, correct me when I am wrong, and encourages my spirit when I need it.

Because of my relationship with my Heavenly Father, I am now able to have a relationship with my earthly father.

I love my Heavenly Father, and I know that I am special because before the foundations of this world, He chose me. He had me on His mind. He sent His son to die for my sins, and I am so grateful.

Happy Father's Day Daddy. I love you because you first loved me!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to meet you Alaiyo! Thanks for visiting my blog. This sweet post sure touched my heart as I lost my dad to cancer recently and have begun to grasp the truest meaning of God being my Father. It is such a beautiful blessing in my life these days. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete