Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Decision


All Good Things Must Come To an End

Well, I have been wearing my hair natural since 1998. In those 10 years I had about three relapses, ( I relaxed my hair). For the most part I have worn my hair ultra short. I have however experienced life with an afro, (TWA), twisties, braids, puffs, and I even started locking my hair for about five months between 2005 and 2006. I have to say however, the hair style that I have loved the most has been wearing my hair really short. I can’t explain how I would feel when I would leave the barber shop with a “fresh cut.” It was easy and convenient. I liked my face the most when my hair was short, and I received the most compliments wearing my hair this way and I loved it.

My last stint with short hair began, in March of 2007. I cut off all of my hair because it was breaking off from the combination of a relaxer, color, and wearing half wigs. Once again I was thrilled to wear my hair this way (short). This is the longest that I have gone with one hairstyle. No more than three weeks would pass without my getting my hair cut. I had a barber who knew how to cut my hair just right in light of the slight traction alopecia that I have around my edges, (years of wearing micro-braids too tight. Anyone know what I can do about this?). I knew that after I was done with this style however, I would start my journey to locking my hair, (for real this time), which brings me up to date.

I have decided to get Sisterlocks once my hair is long enough. I am hoping that will be the beginning of 2009. I’m hoping to lock sometime between January 3rd and January 10th. We’ll see if I have enough length by then. It will also be kind of like a

New Year’s resolution too. I haven’t had a haircut since the middle of July so I’m hoping it will be long enough to lock in January.

What now? Well I have started a savings. I am going to direct deposit money from my paycheck to a savings account called my “Sisterlock Fund.” From the research I have been doing, I’m seeing that they are pretty expensive to start. This way I won’t feel the financial blow all at once, plus it will keep me motivated as I wait for my hair to grow, and as we all know, that can be like watching paint dry, or water boil.

In the mean time, I will focus my energies on clearing up my skin. For about a year and a half now, I have had major problems with my skin. I have started a new regiment, plan to drink more water, eat better, and take my Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins. There are a host of other things to keep me busy, but I am really excited to begin this journey. It has been really liberating to make this decision to lock my hair, (even though I haven’t started yet), and it is extremely encouraging to see those who have started their journeys and are well on their way. I will miss my ultra short hair; after all it has been very good to me. I’ll keep everyone updated. It’s going to be a long journey, but definitely worth the trip. I can’t wait!........well I guess I have to;-)


-Alaiyo ♥

5 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful, girl when you get your Sisterlocks you are going to be even more FIERCE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful with your hair ultra short! What a fun thing to save up for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're like my sister your face carries the short hair so well, I agree with chosen vessel...you're going to work the SL's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I was natural for a year but went back to my relaxer but I can't help but feel a twinge of jealousy when I see sistas rocking their hair. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete